CBI is currently inviting nominations for Laureate na nÓg 2012 -2014. This important initiative was instigated in 2010 with the inauguration of Siobhán Parkinson as Ireland’s first children’s literature laureate.
Siobhán will complete her imaginative and successful term in May 2012 so now is the time to nominate an Irish author or illustrator to be Laureate na nÓg 2012 –14
Individuals and organisations are invited to make a nomination between now and February 24th 2012. Nominees must be Irish, may write throgh the medium of Irish or English and should be an internationally recognised author or illustrator who has made a significant contribution to the field of children’s literature in Ireland. Further details about the laureate project and the nomination process can be found on here or from firstname.lastname@example.org
Laureate na nÓg is an initiative of the Arts Council with the support of the Office of the Minister for Children and Youth Affairs (OMCYA), Children’s Books Ireland and Poetry Ireland.
CRITERIA FOR NOMINATION OF NEXT LAUREATE:
The person nominated for the role needs to meet five key criteria:
1. The laureate should be an Irish writer or illustrator with an internationally recognised body of high quality children’s writing and/or illustration, who writes through the medium of Irish or English.
2. He or she must have made a particularly significant contribution to the field of children’s literature in Ireland and have had a considerable positive impact on readers as well as other writers and illustrators.
3. He or she must demonstrate both eagerness and skill in engaging with children, young people, adults, and media and with the sector as a whole.
4. He or she should demonstrate an enthusiasm for promoting children’s literature in general.
5. Nominees must be of Irish nationality.
Nominations should be sent to email@example.com before February 24th, 2012